Thursday, December 15, 2005

Consumer Advisory - Video Game suckage

After reading a couple of reviews and hearing that this game has some profanity I was all for it. Profanity + video game = excellent start. And for much of the game this has proved to be quite a solid little game. The story is about a team that starts out in the cellar and climbs back into the big to take on division 1 powerhouse the NY Nightmare. There is some piss poor cutscenes and scripts involving your first overall rookie & cheerleader, a nearly washed up veteran, an asshole (as the game calls him when you first hear about him) a freaky owner and a corrupt Liberal mayor. Well ok, I added the Liberal part. Haw Haw. Just so you know LT himself is in the game as...well....another asshole.

So the game rolls along nicely. Going through the scrub (bottom) division on the way up the ladder. I choose the rookie to be a HB (or running back). So I would go into the games I formation (my rage has me forgetting the games name for it) and select a HB run off tackle to the right with a full back lead. So bang, in scrub division I'd call the play, the tackle NEVER, EVER, blocks the DE accross from him, the FB happily runs right by and bam the HB is tackled for a loss of two. Alright, you say, time to train the tackle and FB on blocking. SURE. why not. So I do. I'm presently, in division 1, with a well trained tackle and FB. Run the same play. Same result cept now my backup running back is out for 5 games with a shatter wrist or some such nonsense. OK fine.

I remember playing blitz in the arcade a few times and I was well aware that the game had catch up AI in it. If it was down suddenly weird shit would happen to contribute to it's return of victory over you. This game is no exception. I do a toss to the right, if I'm down by any points the HB will never drop it, but if I'm up at all in the 4th it's almost assurd to be a fumble at some point during the toss or run. Passes that will connect in triple coverage in the first quarter can be tossed to a open guy all alone who'll promptly bonk (yes bonk, no other word for it) the pass into the air, bonk it off another of my WR and then into the hands of a safety or DB. THIS HAPPENS WITH ALARMING REGULARITY.

Ok, so suspension of belief is required. No doubt about it. But, what kills me is that a cartoony, unrealistic video game can become a massively lobsided cartoony video game simply by winning a little bit over it. I like challenges, I don't like to be insulted that a game that previously was being owned by me can come back so dramatically and look like the friggin Baltimore Colts beating up on Lloydminster high school's B team. Pure, suckage.

The choice becomes to trade this turd in and get another game at EB or to wreck the disc so that it can never pollute a PS2 again.

ya ya. Boo hoo. I know.

No comments: