Sunday, April 16, 2006

Put a fork in me, this roast beef is done

I'm now a former member of the automobile sales industry. Happily, I've moved on to the dollar store retail game. Quick, tell me which is likely to make more money: selling one 50,000 vehicle or selling 50,000 one dollar items?

Things you should now about the car sales industry:

- The vast majority of car salesmen (who don't have demos) drive vehicles $5,000 and under. Myself, I drive a truck I bought for 3,000 that runs like a top. One of my last sales the people were going to be paying 640 bucks a month for 5 years
- The markup on the big 3 imports (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) runs about 4.5% or so.
- The items sold to you in the business/finance office have huge markup (pro packs, life and dis, etc etc) and those items are negotiable
- Car dealers fear people who can do the Principle x Rate x Time formula
- Try and pick a vehicle that you are going to keep for a decent length of time, thanks to the nature of the industry, if financing you are assurd to be "upside down" in your machine for several years

At some point, I'm going to add up the selling price on everything I sold and give you some interesting stat's from teh saleman point of view.

If I had to buy a vehicle, it'd be a Murano (possibly FX, but price value is better on murano) car would be a Maxima.

Best part about working at a car dealership is getting to drive the trade in vehicles. Old beaters, high milers, low milers, every make you can think of. Rusty old s-10 trucks, $60,000 Lincolns, and so on. Fun times.

No comments: