Saturday, July 15, 2006

No title needed. Just more disconnected ramblings

So Ball Hockey is done for another season. I’m not going to participate in the winter league as the dollar store goes absolutely crazy over the winter season and the winter league has games at crazy times like 11pm Tuesday nights, or mid afternoon Saturday when I have to be at work. Too bad though, I have tons of fun with this and it’s a good way to get some intense cardio in.
If I had to use one word to sum up the season it’d be frustrating. True to form, the last game was no different. Most of the games we had few players show up, reasons ranged from work, holidays (both of my excuses for missing) to no reason given. The second last game, we had three subs. Imagine running ones eyeballs out while only have 3 guys sitting on the bench. Needless to say we were tired and moving pretty slow. Thankfully the other team was hopeless and we won big time. The last game was a bit better in regards of players as two of the young guys brought their dads to the game(!!) and some more guys showed up and we actually had 6 dmen. I didn‘t know what to do with myself sitting on the bench, my stamina and recovery has built up since I played so many games with so few players. Still, it was the same old same old for me, plus 3 on the night, no points and we lose 7-5. Next year the team will be run by a few different guys, they’ll be some new players and hopefully things will go our way. I must admit this team gets the strangest bounces of any team I’ve ever been on, and those bounces do cause losses.

I’ve hired a few people on my own at the store now. I’ve got three helpers so to speak. Two are young kids, one going into grade 10, another Nigerian kid going into grade 12. They are both very raw let’s say but learn quickly and are willing. The Nigerian’s dad just came by to see how he was doing. Very nice family. Fun to be a little older (I’m turning 30 next week) and seeing kids in a first job. As long as they are willing, show up when they are scheduled too I’m happy. Trouble with the dollar store is a victim of our own success thing. Sell so much can’t keep stock on the shelves and have trouble restocking it all fast enough. We are going to run a Sunday night stock shift till 10 or so. This is only going to get worse as xmas approaches. Ahem. WE HAVE SILLY STRING FOR A DOLLAR.

I’m a bit torn with my pursuing my other idea, but any way you look at it I’m doing well and am happy.

This blog has just passed 2000 hits. Most hits have viewed my entry about leaving auto sales and most of those hits have come from an editors blog on Edmunds.com (http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/category/cat.BuyingNewCars) about halfway down.

A good smattering of hits have also come from thetruthaboutcars.com and thecarconnection.com.

Things I think I think
- I’ve been following along with the business of hockey once again, but not the game. Odd really.
- Consumers are absolute demons. Wrecking the store almost daily. The toy aisle looks like we are running a day care here with all the packages ripped open. Don’t want something, just toss it out of your cart wherever you want.
- I haven’t been following NFL football at all.
- We’ve just bought an expensive guitar, I’m trying to learn chords and what not. My first goal is Times Like These - Foo Fighters. My finger tips are sore. The next song will be I’m an asshole by Dennis Leary.
- Bowflex workouts are ok. The machines 90+ exercises are a farce. Maybe 35 useful ones and I haven’t done all the leg exercises yet. Squats doesn’t look good and I’ll try it tomorrow or Monday. Arms and pecs and shoulders are ok. Back is a bit hit or miss.
- I’ve not gotten squat all done in my back yard yet. Both my neighbors have tons of stuff done already.
Fin.

No comments: